What is MateCat?
MateCat is a free and open source CAT tool (computer-aided-translation), that is a collaborative working platform for translators and project managers.
MateCat is the ideal environment if you want to translate your document yourself, manage complex multilingual projects or simply order a quality translation with fast turnaround at competitive prices.
What you need to work in MateCat
1. A browser (Chrome or Safari)
2. An internet connection
1. Create your translation project
Projects can easily be created in MateCat:
- Visit www.matecat.com
- Choose the language pair(s) and the subject
- Upload the file(s) to translate in any of the over 70 formats available
- Create a new TM or select an existing TM and/or Glossary directly from your Translation Memory and Glossary tab in MateCat (to manage your TMs and glossaries you need to log in)
|MateCat already provides matches from a public translation memory with over 12 billion words and free machine translation. You can also create private translation memories for better reuse of your translations and for confidential projects (click on Settings to add your personal TM).|
2. Analyze your project
Once you have uploaded your file(s), click on Analyze to estimate the translation effort and find out the discounted word count.
MateCat matches the content of your files with:
- Public Translation Memory: previously translated sentences from professional translators and specialized websites and international bodies;
- Private Translation Memory (optional): if you added your own when creating the project (you can still add private TMs during translation but they will not be used for the analysis);
- Machine Translation: free and enabled by default (you can disable it in Options).
|You can log in to access the Management Panel where you can manage and check the progress of all your projects and also manage your private TMs in the Translation memory and glossary tab.|
|More than one translator? Split your project and let multiple translators work on it simultaneously, sharing the same TMs and glossaries and even leaving comments to each other and to the project owner.|
3. Translate or Outsource
Click on Translate and choose one of these options:
- Translate the project yourself by clicking on Open job or send the link to your translator;
- Outsource the job to Translated.net, by clicking on Order now and accepting the instant quote with the guaranteed delivery date.
4. Translate your file(s)
For each job, MateCat will create a unique link to translate your file(s). You can decide to either send the link to your translator or open the link to translate the file(s) yourself.
To translate, open the link with Chrome or Safari and you will see the source text on the left side, broken down into segments. Start working on your translation by editing the matches from private and public TM or the suggestions from MT provided for each segment. Click on the arrow on the left in order to show or hide the matches/suggestions.
Click on TRANSLATED to confirm your translation; the bar on the right will turn blue.
|MateCat automatically performs quality checks on your translation. If any issues are spotted (e.g. tag mismatches, formatting, layout), a warning sign will light up in the top bar.|
Follow the translation progress at the bottom of the page. When it reaches 100% and if no warnings appear, the Preview button in the top right-hand corner will change into Download translation. Click on it to get the translated file(s) in the same format and layout as the source file.
|Extra guarantee: Click on Preview prior to translating and download your file(s) with automated translation. This will help you guarantee that the final file(s) will display and work correctly.|
5. Optional: Revise your translation
Click on Revise in the bottom right-hand corner and open the link for revision. Start the revision yourself or send the link to your revisor.
For each segment, click on APPROVED if you think the translation is correct. Otherwise, edit the translation and classify the type of issues found according to the options provided. Your changes will be tracked next to the type of issues.
Once you finish revising, click on the QUALITY REPORT button in the top bar to read an assessment based on the issues addressed during the revision process.
6. Keeping track of your projects
To retrieve projects that you have created, click on Manage at the bottom right corner of the interface.
In the Management panel you will be able to keep track and easily manage all your projects.
7. Get Support
If you have questions at any stage, click on the Get Support button on the right side of any pages and send us an email. You will get free and timely technical support for all your queries.